Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
It was unfortunate for Sainz and Ferrari. I think the ten-place drop was grossly unfair. Why punish a driver and team for unforeseen damage through no fault of their own? The stewards are unbelievable.

Baku and Singapore had manhole issues on their first few races. It has even happened in Monaco. So this is not new. It is simply teething problems to be expected. Hence, unfair to blow it out of proportion. That said, I say; l have never seen Toto Woolf so mad as he was in the team principles media session. Fred Vasseur was beside himself with annoyance, he could not answer any questions. And l don't blame him. In this cost cap era that does not make any allowances for force majeur, that incident would cost Ferrari dearly, then add the ten place grid drop to that, ouch.
I agree completely about the unfairness of the drop.

As a former marshal, one of the very first things you do on a street course is inspect all of the utility covers to be sure they are properly secured (Along with the walls and fencing.) Later info says it wasn't just the covers themselves which came loose, it was both the covers and the concrete surround.