I think the main problem for the manufacturer's low entrants is the lack of structure, especially in the connection with the support category. In this respect, rally3 could be a step forward. FIA should find a way to connect wrc better with lower category. i'm ok in having rally1 as the "spearhead" even if it means to be a bit of alien level for many to reach. what i think should be done is investing on manus championship and resonance to wrc2/3. make a big impact for manus working in lower class (maybe rewarding them with some class points valid also in general classification?). think about skoda in wrc2 or renault interest in wrc3. mixing up the reward between classes could raise interest of manufactures, also from pr perspective. they can probably force a junior team of rally1 manus in wrc2/3 that gives points in the general standings, open to other manus still good for general standings. this will growth also the work on the next gens drivers...
i think the idea should connect the work of manus beyond class division, that is something near the openness needs we discussed many times, without a complete revolution of the whole thing...